8/17/2007

Fish and Foetus

Have you ever tried to depict a situation to someone who had never experienced anything of the kind or explain a sensation to someone who had never felt anything similar? We all have. But frankly, folks, do kisses taste of honey and tears and peach and sweet chestnut, and are they hot and cool and gentle and passionate, are they as if a petal touched your lips or dew was dripping on your tongue? Now if it's so difficult to tell what a kiss feels like, what should women say to men about exclusively womanly experiences? Some 5 years ago, when expecting our second baby, an acquintance of ours started asking me what it felt like to have a baby moving in me. I wanted to appear very clever, took a deep breath - and put on a proud but prudent smile, I thought suited the topic - and... I paused. (You probably think it quite impossible to pause before a sentence is started, but you must understand: it's about me, and I am able to pause before starting.) I could have said, it was like bowel movements, but that I found too base. I thought of saying it was just like it all happened on the outside of my belly, but this seemed too simplistic. "Errrr, well, maybe like a fish?" - I said, hoping it would make some sense to our friend. "I cannot really imagine what it would feel like to have a fish in my belly." - he replied. And...: "Like a baby swimming in there." - explained my two-year old readily.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.